Sunday, January 15, 2012

Breaking down a pork loin

So we needed some boneless pork chops (which we cook all the time for dinner).  Rather than buy them already neatly sliced and in a tray, we've started buying a whole loin at Costco and slicing it up.  Pork.. the new inexpensive protein (yeah.. $2.19/lb for a 9 pound loin. )  Here's a picture of our brand new loin:

There's a helpful little diagram on the back of the loin to tell you how to slice it, but basically you chop off the head and tail to make roasts, and slice the middle to make chops.  Last time I did this, I made some chops and then made 1.5-2 pound roasts, because that's a convenient size.  This time, I only did one roast, I basically turned the rest into roughly 4 oz chops (that being a convenient size.. 1 per person, or maybe 1/2 per person if you split them and make palliards).

This is the end I want to make the roast of, because it has the two muscles in it, the darker muscle having more flavor, in theory. So I cut off about 2.5 lbs

Then it's just a matter of slicing off 4 ounce portions.  My slices are about 3/4" thick and weigh 4 to 4 1/2 ounces.  A good guide is the width of your finger, or the handle of the knife.  You can check it with a scale periodically, but once you get the rhythm going, you can zap off a dozen or so without much variation.

The large division on the scale is 1", but the camera angle is non-optimum.  In any case, maybe 2cm thick?
And, see.. right on 4 oz.  Here's a picture of the entire loin, all broken down. There's a pile of chops and then the roast, and some other ends of the loin, which I leave separate, because maybe I'll make Chile Verde or something needing chunks of pork.  The fat you see in the upper left isn't all that thick.  This is a pretty lean piece of meat (which some folks think is a disadvantage in modern pork, I think I agree). The picture of the chop above shows a typical fat layer. 


Finally, I take all those chops and vacuum seal them 3 at a time (about 12 ounces) as a meal's worth.  I suppose I could sous vide them as is, but for now, it's thaw and cook in whatever.  I kind of like Jacque Pepin's palliard recipe: split them, smash them thinner, salt pepper and thyme, then into a hot frying pan for about 40 seconds/side, hold the palliards, make a pan sauce, done...

No comments:

Post a Comment